Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Being Frugal is NOT so Fabulous

I'm tired of it, or maybe just a little bit grumpy.  But being frugal is NOT fabulous.  Especially since the hit of the recession blogs, magazines, TV shows and all types of media are about couponing, living frugally, da da da da, ad nauseum.  Being frugal is suddenly chic, but guess what, it is NOT FUN.  I have been living frugally my whole life, out of necessity not coolness, and I am so tired of the new emphasis on it.  My husband and I are raising 4 kids on one self employed paying taxes, no benefits income.  I clothe my kids in big box store clothes, clearance finds, and super online deals which then get put into the box and passed down to the next child.  I cook from scratch and couponed even when it wasn't cool.  The last month wasn't a good one for coupons on the items I buy each month so at checkout at Walmart today I felt burdened by the guilt of only having 4 coupons and having to pay full price for many of the items I usually have coupons for.  We have a little debt from school loans and one mini-van payment that we are trying to pay down.  We live in a modest 4 bedroom house with a one car garage.  My husband drives a 17 year old car that we have owned for 12 of those years. We save for retirement and emergencies, don't carry any credit card debt, and pay our own way through everything.  But it is not fun.  Some days I want a big, new house with a big mortgage payment that I can't pay.  I want big new furniture to fill it instead of the repurposed slipcovered couches I have now.  I want to decorate it with kitsch from fancy stores and big fluffy pillows.  I want my hardworking husband to get to drive a fancy new car or truck.  I want to fix up my basement so it looks like a living room not granny's attic cast offs, go out to dinner on a date other than my anniversary,  see a movie in the theater, and buy $100 bling butt jeans for myself and my daughter.  I don't want to feel like I am a "less than" compared to others.  Everywhere I look it seems like everyone I know has a bigger house, nicer clothes, newer car, better vacation than we do. If we are doing everything the "right way" why don't I feel the blessings financially.  Why do I feel that trying to live a righteous life should be rewarded with financial blessings?   And I totally recognize that this is wholly ungrateful, prideful thinking.  I guess the question is... How do I turn my attitude around?

No comments:

Post a Comment